Thursday, August 20, 2015

Herb-Marinated Cinnamon Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Cinnamon Garlic Roasted Sweet Potato


Herb-Marinated Cinnamon Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Cinnamon Garlic Roasted Sweet Potato




I don't have a garden, but I do have what I like to refer to as my estate-grown herbs. If you live somewhere other than Arizona in the summer, you can grow most herbs in outdoor pots in the summer. We've had a lot of rain here in Dayton this summer which means all of my plants are just doing wonderfully! I'm trying to take advantage of the herbs in my cooking as much as I possibly can. I've seen wreathes made out of fresh herbs that dry for use in the winter, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Does anyone have any tips for me so I can bring the taste of summer into my winter cooking? Please send me links or tips if you know of anything for drying herbs. 

Back on topic, last night I made a tasty marinated grilled chicken breast for dinner with some roasted sweet potatoes and a big garden salad. It was super tasty so I thought I'd share it with all of you! You can make a meat marinade out of almost any seasoning, but some work better than others. You should also always use a little oil and an acid like lemon juice or vinegar. If you follow that you can marinade any meat with confidence. Joe received an awesome foodie book for Christmas one year from his aunt and uncle called The Flavor Bible by Karen Page. It is an awesome guide for any adventurous chef out there. It tells you what flavors compliment each other for almost any food you can think of. I used it to create this marinade for my chicken breast. 

Marinade ingredients: garlic, rosemary, thyme, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
Rub ingredients: cinnamon, salt and black pepper



Herb-Marinated Cinnamon Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Cinnamon Garlic Roasted Sweet Potato
Ingredients for the chicken:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 small bunch of fresh thyme
2-3 fresh basil leaves
1 clove of minced garlic
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

In a small bowl combine the cinnamon, salt and pepper. Rub onto the chicken.
In a plastic zippered bag add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, slightly crushed herbs and garlic. Mix and add the chicken. Allow to marinade for 2-4 hours.

Grill until internal temperature reaches 165˚. Remove from grill and allow to sit for five minutes. Slice and serve. 



Ingredients for the sweet potatoes:
1 large sweet potato sliced into 1/4" rounds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of thinly sliced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 425˚. Use a mandolin or a sharp knife to slice the garlic and sweet potato. In a medium-sized bowl toss all of the ingredients together until the sweet potato is evenly coated. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment