Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Before and After: Aunt Elsie's Bedside Table


Yay! I have a proper bedside table again! My life it complete. Yeah, it was complete and full before this, but it's so great to have this little piece of furniture all finished and by my bed again. My great aunt Elsie gave me this little piece of furniture when I was moving to Arizona forever ago. She's a lovely lady and incredibly generous. She's lived in the same small Nebraska town her entire 89 years of life and calls everyone kid. I'm sure you have a picture in your mind of this wonderful woman. 

She took incredible care of her belongings, so this little piece really didn't need to be painted. However, it just wasn't quite my style. It's a little bit 70's Western for me. 



I decided to go ahead and paint it though to make it fit more with my vision for our bedroom, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. First I wiped it down with a damp cloth to get the moving dust off of it. Then I used sander/deglosser on it to prep it for paint. I did go over it very lightly with 220 grit sand paper just to make sure it was smooth. I gave it a once over with the cleaning cloth again to make sure it was squeaky clean. I didn't want any sawdust ruining my pretty paint job.

I used one coat of my favorite primer to make sure the paint really stuck: Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Primer. I've used this primer on walls when I needed to cover hot pink. I've used it on furniture. It's great! 

Once that dried I used two coats of Sherwin Williams ProClassic Semi-Gloss in Dover White. This paint is really nice to work with and will give you a nice enamel finish cutting out the need for furniture wax or polyurethane. I've used this one quart of paint on four small projects now and still have about a 1/3 of the container left. 

Thanks for the table Elsie! And it's totally my style now. 





~Katie

I'm sharing this with 



TDC Before and After

No comments:

Post a Comment