Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Roasted Tomato Pie (Pizza Pie)


I visited my great aunt Carol in May and tried this tomato pie that she had made that afternoon.  I will admit, I was totally skeptical just like you are right now. ;-) But, wow! It really is so tasty. I'm sorry Carol, I should never have doubted. You're an awesome chef!

I would really call this a pizza pie more than anything else. If you are like me right now, people are giving you fresh tomatoes every week. Take those gardeners up on the tomato offer and make this wonderful dish. You'll need about 8 tomatoes to make this pie. I use a family recipe for my pie crusts called Eileen's Pie Crust. Joe's grandma gave me the recipe. She and her friend Eileen would make up a batch every year. Maybe someday after I get Grandma's permission I'll share the crust recipe with you. 

This original recipe comes from the Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook. I've made a number of changes though. And I apologize for only having one not so great photo. I pulled this out of the oven and just grabbed my phone and snapped this picture. Next time I make it, I'll try to get some better shots.


Roasted Tomato Pie

1 9-inch pie crust
2 lbs ripe summer tomatoes or plum tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
20 fresh basil leaves 
1/2 tsp fresh oregano or 1/4 tsp dried
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350˚. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil. Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and season with the kosher salt and pepper to taste. Roast until the tomatoes are slightly dehydrated but not completely dry, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Plum tomatoes take about 1 hour. Peak-of-season summer tomatoes take about 1 1/2 hours.)
Prebake the pie crust according to directions either on package or in your pie crust recipe. While the crust is still warm, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the white cheddar cheese.
Adjust the oven to 400˚. Layer half of the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle with half of the basil. Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining basil. 
Combine the oregano, garlic, onion powder, Parmesan cheese and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture on top of the tomatoes. top with the remaining white cheddar cheese. Place the pice on the baking sheet and bake until the cheese is slightly brown. 20-30 minutes. 
Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Garnish with basil before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment