Saturday, November 21, 2015

Goodbye Fluorescent Lights!

I know that fluorescent lights are relatively cheap and hugely popular in 1974 when our house was built, but yuck! Ooooh how I hate them in my house. They are fine in a classroom, but over my kitchen table? Nope! No thanks. This light had to go. It's been flickering since we moved in even with new bulbs. So instead of replacing the ballast, it was time to just replace the light. 


This thing was a beast. Joe helped me take it down. It had a built-in frame held into the ceiling with 4 giant screws. 



You can see the holes where the screws were and the rectangle of the former light. It's so pretty isn't it? You can see why this had to go.



I started by installing the base of the new light fixture. I'll admit right now, I should have done a little more research on new light fixtures. I like the fixture I got; however, I wish I would have gotten a slightly bigger light fixture for the room over the table. I may replace it again some day, but for now, it's a million percent better so I just don't care!

See what I mean? Isn't it so much nicer?

Clearly I still need to take care of the holes and paint. It took me forever to finish because I just didn't want to deal with moving the rug from under the table to paint. But, I finally moved the rug and got a move on the final details. I started by filling in the holes with spackle. I really let it dry well before I sanded it flat. Finally I painted the entire ceiling with a basic Lowe's ceiling paint.

Before                                                                         After

No comments:

Post a Comment