Saturday, November 21, 2015

Pumpkin Oatmeal Waffles



I can't take credit at all for the idea of adding pumpkin to my oatmeal waffle recipe. My friend Jessie texted me the other night telling me that she added half a can of pumpkin to the original waffle recipe. So of course I had to try it this morning. It turned out to be very tasty indeed! Wonderful idea Jessie!

For those of you that love pumpkin, this is perhaps the perfect autumn breakfast recipe for you. For those of you looking to sneak more veggies into your diet, this is a very easy addition. 



I mixed up a batch of the batter in my KitchenAid stand mixer this morning. I have a Belgian waffle maker that I use. After making waffles every week for two years, I've discovered for my waffle maker that 2/3 cup is the perfect amount.  Without further ado, here is the recipe



Pumpkin Oatmeal Waffles
3 c. flour
2 c. quick cooking oatmeal
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. ground flax seed (Optional, but I love the texture it adds)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk (any kind)
6 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbps. brown sugar
1 cup pureed pumpkin

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer directions:  Add eggs, milk, butter, vanilla extract, pumpkin, and brown sugar to mixing bowl.  Mix on medium speed for about one minute until completely mixed and brown sugar is dissolved.  Add flour, oatmeal, baking powder, flax see, cinnamon and salt to liquid.  Mix for another minute at speed 2.  Scrape down the sides and mix for another 30 seconds.  Pour into a hot waffle iron; close lid quickly and open when done.  

Regular directions: In a large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredient but the brown sugar.  Set aside.  In another bowl mix eggs, milk, butter, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and brown sugar with a whisk.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture.  Mix with a wooden spoon until blended.  Pour into a hot waffle iron; close lid quickly and open when done.  

Makes 8-10 six inch round waffles.





No comments:

Post a Comment