Thursday, January 30, 2014

Heirloom Tomatoes with Basil and Marinaded Mozzarella



Joe and I went to a healthy cooking class on Tuesday night.  It was so delicious, salt encrusted salmon, tomato bisque, crostini with bruschetta... yum!  Besides all of the delicious food that night we were able to take home some of the extra heirloom tomatoes which provided the start of this appetizer.

I bought an 8 oz. package of fresh mozzarella at Trader Joe's and cut it into three sections.  I placed it in a storage container and poured olive oil over it until it was coated but not drowning.  I then put Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning on that to make it amazing!  I put the container in the fridge to marinade for a few hours.  As a side note, if you don't have any South African Smoke Seasoning and don't live near a Trader Joe's, let me know and I'll find a way to get you some.  It's delicious on roasted veggies, eggs and meats.  

When dinner time rolled around I sliced up one heirloom tomato, put one basil leaf on top of each slice.  Then I cut a small piece of mozzarella to top each slice and sprinkled a little of the olive oil in the cheese container over it all.  To make it perfect, I ground a little more South African Smoke Seasoning on top.  





No comments:

Post a Comment