Thursday, January 30, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

This cooking class that we went to the other night was supposed to have a Brussels sprouts recipe, but we ran out of time.  The teacher let us take the Brussels sprouts home to make on our own.  Perhaps I should have tried his recipe, but this one is tried and true for us.  It's the perfect way to make the sprouts crispy on the outside and roasted on the inside.  And let's be honest, bacon, need I say more?

Preheat the oven to 425˚.

Prepare the Brussels sprouts by rinsing, cutting off the bottoms, and halving them.  I cut about 15 for the two of us for a side dish.

Use a cast iron skillet for this dish because it will transition from the stovetop right into the oven.  Turn on the heat to medium and add 2 slices of bacon.  Allow it to cook about halfway.  I find that if the cast iron skillet is too hot it will just burn the bacon.  I usually end up turning it down to medium low once I add the bacon.  

Once the bacon is cooked halfway, add the Brussels sprouts and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes.  During this time, I used a knife to cut the bacon into pieces right in the skillet.  The Brussels sprouts should start to look golden as you can see in the picture.


Use a hot pad and transfer the entire skillet to the preheated oven.  Leave in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  They should look a little darker, but not burnt.  I left mine in for 20 minutes and you can see how they turned out.  


Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment