Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oatmeal Cinnamon Waffles

Joe and I got married a little over a year ago.  It didn't take long for us to establish a Saturday morning breakfast routine.  I made oatmeal waffles a few weekends in a row without really thinking about it, and then one weekend in June we didn't have all of the ingredients.  I just ate a bowl of cereal when I woke up, but a few hours later when Joe got up, he asked for waffles.  I explained the lack of ingredients and this just wasn't going to fly.  He got dressed and went to the store then and there to get the needed items and since then, the waffles have become a weekly staple in our lives.  I told Joe in December that I should really start a blog and put this recipe as my first post.  Well I'm not sure how it happened, but I somehow got 6 other posts done before this one.

I started making oatmeal waffles with a recipe that I got off of Cooks.com years ago, but I've made them so much that I started experimenting with the recipe, sometimes on purpose and sometimes accidentally that they've really become my own now.  I have an aunt and uncle who always say that if you make at least three changes to a recipe you can call them Your Famous Waffles.  I'm not sure about that, but I'm going to share the recipe that we've settled on, although I will admit to an accidental recipe change even today.  This is a very forgiving recipe so don't be afraid to attempt some of your own changes.

On to the waffles!  

Cinnamon Oatmeal Waffles
3 c. flour
2 c. quick cooking oatmeal
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. ground flax seed (Optional, but I love the texture it adds)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk (any kind)
4 Tbsps melted butter
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbps. brown sugar

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer directions:  Add eggs, milk, butter, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and brown sugar to mixing bowl.  Mix on medium speed for about one minute until completely mixed and brown sugar is dissolved.  Add flour, oatmeal, baking powder, flax see, cinnamon and salt to liquid.  Mix for another minute at speed 2.  Scrape down the sides and mix for another 30 seconds.  Pour into a hot waffle iron; close lid quickly and open when done.  

Regular directions: In a large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredient but the brown sugar.  Set aside.  In another bowl mix eggs, milk, butter, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and brown sugar with a whisk.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture.  Mix with a wooden spoon until blended.  Pour into a hot waffle iron; close lid quickly and open when done.  

Makes 8-10 six inch round waffles.

Most of the ingredients

A note on the waffle iron: you can use any type of waffle maker that you want.  I found this Belgian waffler at Kohls for $20 last fall after the one that my grandma gave me died.  This was their cheapest one, but it got the best reviews.  It works really well.  Our waffle maker has a light to indicate when the waffles are done, but the old one didn't.  I would just leave it for about 2 minutes and then gently lift the lid.  If it came up easily then it was done and ready to be removed with a fork.  If it didn't lift easily and the waffle started separating then it needed more time.  


Top with fruit and whip cream, eat them plain (Joe's favorite), add some syrup, really you can't go wrong.  And one final tip for you all, this is a large recipe. You can of course cut the recipe in half quite easily actually, or you can do what we do.  Joe will eat 2 and I'll eat one fresh, then we are usually left with 6 or 7.  We put these into a plastic storage bag and then freeze them.  Joe eats the rest of them all week for breakfast.  He takes one out and microwaves it for 20-30 seconds and then he toasts it to make it crispy and fresh tasting. 


1 comment:

  1. We will definitely try this recipe!! Tom loves pancakes and waffles more than just about anything. So does Sonia!!! Will be fun to have "family recipes" for the faves. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete